Old website version during the first term of office of President Valdas Adamkus (1998 02 26-2003 02 25)

Lietuviškai
Presidential Activities
Annual Addresses
Speeches and Statements
Press Releases
Visits
Interviews
State Awards
The President
Biography
The First Lady
Office of the President
Legal Framework
Presidential Palace
History
Virtual Tour

Palace Tour

Palace Tours:
Admission free
Friday 4.00 PM - 6.30 PM
Saturday 9.00 AM - 2.15 PM
Groups up to 25 persons
Identification documents required
Call for reservations:
Tel.: +370 2 664154
Fax: +370 2 664145

The front fasade of the main Palace, view from Daukanto Square. The two-storied Palace was built in the 19th century in the style of Neoclassicism. Together with the administrative building on University Street and the park, it forms a uniform architectural ensemble in the Old Town of Vilnius. The entrance to the Palace is from the left wing of the front fasade.
The coat of arms of the President of the Republic of Lithuania on the attic of the central part of the Palace. The flag is hoisted when the President is in Vilnius.
Park of the Palace, used for official receptions hosted by the President of Lithuania on the State Day - the Crowning Day of Grand Duke Mindaugas. Remains of an uncovered ancient defence wall around the city of Vilnius can be seen at the back part of the wall fencing in the park.
Ceremonial staircase (228). The staircase decorated with gilt handrail and staircase window frames leads from the courtyard to the first floor of the Palace.
The Room of Maps (227). The room is decorated with neoclassical furniture set (beginning of 19th c., mahogany veneers), facsimiles of the maps of the Lithuanian State from the cartography collection of the Scientific Library of Vilnius University and Allegoric Composition by Frans van Mier (1689-1763), oil on canvas.
VILNA LITVANIAE Metropolis by G. Braun. A drawing of the Vilnius city plan included into the edition of the book Cities of the World on the major cities of the world published in 1576. Vilnius is depicted from the flight of a bird. No 16 in the plan marks the Bishop Palace, currently the Palace of the President of Lithuania.
The Room of Delegations (226). The room is used for official meetings with delegations. Furniture set, Karelian birch veneers. The set was manufactured according to the old technology. The room is decorated with lithographs from The Vilnius Album compiled by Jonas Kazimieras Vilčinskis: Grand Courtyard of Vilnius University; Vilnius. Suburb in Šnipiškės; Dinning Hall in Verkių Palace; Tombstone of Zygmant I and Sigismund August in the Cracow Cathedral. The lithographs were created during the period of 1848-1850.

Jonas Kazimieras Vilčinskis (1806-1885), a medical doctor and investigator of culture. Being concerned with the preservation of cultural heritage, he published The Vilnius Album, which included lithographs, chromolithographs and copper and steel engravings depicting castles, architectural monuments and ensembles of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, that survived into the 19th century.

The room is also decorated with the lithograph Construction of the Gediminas Castle depicting the legend on the foundation of the capital city of Lithuania (Michael Elviro Andriolli, 1938-1893).

The White Hall (222). The main ceremonial hall of the Palace, used for the presentation of credentials, award ceremonies and meetings of delegations with the President. White furniture with gilt ornaments are replicas of the Palace furniture. The Liberty statue (1922) in the central niche is a gypsum copy of the authentic sculpture by Juozas Zikaras which is placed at the Military Museum in Kaunas.
The Negotiations Room (219), used for meetings and negotiations of official delegations. The authentic caisson ceiling from the Bishop Palace period is one of the most ornate fragments of the present Palace architecture. The walls are decorated with the plans of the Old Vilnius picturing the architectural monuments that can be seen from the windows of the room: Map of the City of Vilnius, Tower of the Gediminas Castle, Subačiaus City Gates and Town Hall, Reconstruction of the Lower Castle created by Juozapas Kamarauskas during 1894-1923, facsimiles from the Lithuanian Art Museum).
The Blue Room (220). The name was given after its wall colour. Used for tet-a-tet meetings of the President. Two authentic Swedish style fireplaces, beginning of the 19th century. Copy of the furniture set which belonged to poet Jurgis Baltrušaitis and used to decorate a room in the Lithuanian Embassy in Moscow during the inter-war period. The room is also decorated with paintings from Mykolas Žilinskas collection, the other paintings of which are exhibited in Čiurlionis Art Museum.
The Dining Room (214). Today the room is used for official luncheons hosted by the President. The room is decorated with the 19th century furniture, paintings, lithographs and samples of applied art: glass vase, Imperial glass factory, Russia, gilt bronze clock with Apollo, two guilt bronze candelabra with the figures of goddesses. The walls are decorated with hunting trophies presented by former President of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas.
The Waiting Room (208). Furniture set, neoclassicism, made after examples of the 19th century Palace furniture on the basis of photographic material. The room is decorated with Seascape (oil on canvas, late 19th) and facsimiles of the lithographs from The Vilnius Album compiled by J. K. Vilčinskis.
Palace of the Governor-General and Vilnius University Observatory, facsimile of the lithograph from The Vilnius Album, depicting the present Palace of the President of Lithuania in the 19th century.
Office of the President's secretary (211). The fragment of the ornamental frieze of the Bishop Palace was uncovered and restored on one wall at the height of two metres. The Office has mahogany furniture set, neoclassic style, late 19th century, as well as one of the few surviving clocks of the Vilnius Watchmakers Guild, made by master Joachimas Savickis (1820). The room is decorated with a cycle of serigraphy works under the title Lithuania. Capital Cities of the State of Lithuania by contemporary artist V. K. Gibavičius, as well as the landscapes by renowned Lithuanian painters of the pre-war period Antanas Šileika and Antanas Žmuidzinavičius.
The Executive Office of the President (206). This office is occupied by the President. Also used for TV broadcasts of the President's addresses and holiday greetings to the nation. The walls are decorated with oak wood. Furniture is also made of oak. Behind the desk of the President are the national flag, the flag of the President and the state emblem of Lithuania. The fire place in the opposite wall to the desk was installed during the restoration of the Palace. The office is decorated with the portrait of Jonas Basanavičius, an outstanding Lithuanian political and cultural figure, painted by Antanas Žmuidzinavičius (1911).
Vytautas the Great (copy, oil on canvas, unknown artist of the 17th century). This painting hangs above the fire place in the executive office of the President. The 19th century guilt bronze and marble clock and two guilt bronze vases in the shape of the ancient Greek krater are exhibited on the fire place.
The Meeting Room (207). In this room the President holds meeting with advisors and receives members of the Seimas (Parliament), the Government and non-governmental organisations. One of the walls is decorated with a tapestry Composition of the Coats of arms depicting the crests of the President and major Lithuanian cities against the background of oak leaves. It was made for the Palace by the Jonučiai family in 1998. The room is also decorated with the portraits of the Lithuanian Presidents Antanas Smetona (1919-1920, 1926-1940), Kazys Grinius (1926), Aleksandras Stulginskis (1920 - 1926) and Algirdas Brazauskas (1993 - 1998).
Vytautas the Great at the Lutsk Congress (oil on canvas, Jonas Mackevičius, 1934) exhibited in the Meeting Room. The Lutsk Congress took place in Lutsk, in the castle of Vytautas the Great, 1429. The Congress was attended by Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas the Great, Polish King Jagielo, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and King of Hungary Siegmund the Luxembourg, as well as by grand dukes of Moscow, Tver and Riazan, dukes of Novgorod and Pskov, the Pope's legate and envoys representing the Teutonic Order, Byzantine Emperor, Moldova, the Golden Hord, the Kingdom of Denmark, etc. The Congress discussed the issues of political concern in central and eastern Europe. The Congress also proposed to crown Grand Duke Vytautas as the King of Lithuania. In the foreground are depicted: standing Emperor Siegmund the Luxembourg with Grand Duke Vytautas and his wife Julijona on the immediate right and the Emperor's wife Barbara, King Jagielo and his wife Sofia on the immediate left.

Maintained by the Office of the President of the Republic of Lithuania. Please specify source when quoting.